For a little while now I’ve successfully been better at what I’m eating. I haven’t had fast food, candy, or overall junk—and my body, but especially my stomach, thanks me. I used to feel so bloated, full, weighed down, tired, even a little queasy sometimes. All of those feelings at once made for an awful afternoon Monday through Friday once I was done with lunch. I would curse myself later asking why I ate what I did. I was a mess.
Then, if you follow along, my uncle passed away suddenly after a massive heart attack (so we assume due to what we know but for whatever reason the coroner in the tiny Mississippi town didn’t feel an autopsy was necessary–I disagree, but whatever) at the age of 50.
The thoughts started rolling in…What if I was only on this earth another 18 years? What if I leave my husband a widow because I didn’t take care of myself? What if we have a child and I leave them without a mother? What if I continue to believe in “I Can’t” and miss out on a healthy life that I day dream about?
And all of those thoughts made me extremely upset and depressed and absolutely down in the dumps.
Little by little I’m keeping my food choices, and incorporating movement into my days (instead of lounging), more and more and I feel better. How is it I forget this when I slide into a funk and stop working out or go for the fast food burger with fries and a large drink? It’s like I suffer from a form of amnesia or something and I totally forget! Do you ever feel this way? Not until I start eating better and moving more do I remember, finally, that this is what “healthy” felt like and I should have kept it up all along.
I have yet to workout cardio wise (or strength training much even) since the first of the year. My feet are still just not in it to win it. And then I saw somewhere online/Facebook/Instagram about a new program coming out called PiYo.
I had never heard of it. I’m also not up with the latest news on workout DVDs for at home since I have a gym membership. All of my workout DVDs, except for a few Jillian Michaels DVDs, are from the days of VHS and Kathy Smith, MTV Grind Hip Hop, and there might be one Tae Bo in there I’m not sure.
I was vaguely familiar with Beachbody due to the infomercials for T25, P90X, and Turbo Fire. While I always thought it would be nice to try some of those, I knew my knees (at this stage of my journey) couldn’t take it, and possibly even my ankles. More importantly now, my feet.
And that’s when I found out that this program specifically targets those who want:
- No jumping
- No weights
- Low impact
- High intensity
- Combination of yoga/Pilates with upbeat music
- Strength & Stretch
The program was started by Chalene Johnson, the creator of Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire and ChaLEAN Extreme. This woman knows what she’s doing so I gave it a further look.
I was sold. Looks like fun, something new to try, and it seems like it would be great for my needs! Thankfully I only had to wait one day to get my order in because the program released the following afternoon. I decided to go with the deluxe box set to get some extras that would benefit me no matter if it’s for the program or not. Here’s a copy/paste list of what’s coming to me in my PiYo Deluxe Package (with free shipping, thank goodness):
- Align: The Fundamentals (40 min.): This workout breaks down the most important and effective moves in the program to help you perfect your form and get the best results possible.
- Define: Lower Body (25 min.): Get your sleekest and leanest legs ever as you lengthen and strengthen your entire lower body—from your glutes and hamstrings to your calves.
- Define: Upper Body (20 min.): Use this incredibly effective workout to start chiseling away at your upper body to help shape your arms, carve out your triceps, and define sexy shoulders.
- Sweat (35 min.): A traditional PiYo workout that incorporates effective dynamic conditioning, fast-paced cardio yoga-flows, and bodyweight resistance strength training to help sculpt your entire body.
- Core (30 min.): This ab-centric workout hits your powerhouse from every angle to build a strong core, flat, sculpted abs and obliques, as well as a strong and sexy back.
- Strength Intervals (25 min.): Twenty-five minutes is all you need of this nonstop body-carving, calorie-incinerating workout that uses no weights, no equipment, and gives you no bulk!
- Drench (45 min.): This endurance workout maximizes fat burning while it works every muscle in your body. It will not only leave you drenched—it will kick-start your metabolism as you scorch away the fat.
- Sculpt (30 min.): This workout uses varying tempos to keep your muscles under tension for different periods of time. This generates muscular endurance and metabolic changes that will totally transform your figure.
PLUS, 2 ACCELERATED WORKOUTS
- Full Body Blast (30 min.): A total-body workout that uses the Beachbody Strength Slides to push your fat-burning potential into overdrive in just 30 minutes.
- Strong Legs (30 min.): Use the Beachbody Strength Slides to lunge, squat, and stretch your way to amazing quads, glutes, and hamstrings for your strongest, leanest, and most defined legs ever.
TOOLS FOR SUCCESS
- Quick Start Guide. Everything you need to know to get started including valuable insider tips to get your best results possible! Plus, discover how each powerful workout is strategically designed to transform your body.
- PiYo 60-Day Workout Calendar. Chalene arranged the workouts to make sure you’re progressing each week as you build up your strength, flexibility, and stamina. On the front, you’ll find the schedule for the base workouts. On the back, you’ll find the PiYo Strength Accelerated Calendar, which incorporates the PiYo Strength workouts to enhance your results.
- Beachbody Strength Slides with Booties. Increase the intensity of your workout as your body works harder to stabilize and control your movements. You’ll engage your core, stimulate your glutes, and activate muscles you never even knew you had. And, the versatile booties were designed exclusively for use with the Beachbody Strength Slides. Slip them on so you can use the slides on smooth surfaces throughout your home.
PLUS, 4 FREE GIFTS!
- Get Lean Eating Plan. A simplified approach to clean and lean eating designed to fit your lifestyle and your taste buds! Learn how to eat a variety of delicious, nutritious foods that keep you properly fueled, satiated, and nourished—and help you define your best body.
- Buns (25 min.): Focused on the glutes, this workout is designed to lift, redefine, and tighten the entire backside of your body for the perfect tight and round butt.
- Tape Measure. Track your progress as you melt the fat away faster than you ever imagined.
- 24/7 Online Support. Get motivated anytime of day with access to proven fitness, nutrition, and motivation tips. You’ll even get exclusive invitations to live video chats with Chalene Johnson. You’ll find unlimited peer support here, and you can even join a PiYo Challenge Group.
- Yoga Mat. This mat is ideal for PiYo! It has a textured surface to promote better body alignment and footing, while the closed-cell, soft vinyl is lead- and latex-free to give you peace of mind. It provides nonslip traction and it’s luxuriously thick to ensure comfort, control, and cushion for every PiYo move you make.
I love getting packages in the mail and this will be like Christmas morning! Count that up that’s 11 DVD workouts I get, slides, a yoga mat, a workout calendar, and eating plan (which I usually only get ideas from and don’t follow entirely). If you care to see the goodies, stay tuned on my Facebook page or Instagram feed for pics, quick reviews, and possible grunt posts about how hard this program is kicking my butt! If you don’t already follow me, I’d love to have you!
But I still had a gym membership every month and with the cost of the kit that was a lot to cough up for the month. So I took the leap and decided to put my gym membership on hold. I’m kicking myself I didn’t do it sooner. I kept saying I would get back, that I’d go to a class the next evening, you know the drill. At $66/month, that’s not a cheap thing to let go for six months and that’s exactly what I’ve done. So instead I’ll plunk down $10/month instead until I decide if I’m going to entirely get rid of the membership.
Which if life events play out how my husband and I hope they will….I will have to cancel my membership because we’ll be moving six hours away and there isn’t a Lifetime Fitness gym anywhere nearby, for like hundreds of miles! HA! But more news on that when it’s available.
My box full of PiYo goodies, according to the USPS website, is sitting on my front porch and I can’t wait to rip into it tonight!
Have you heard of PiYo?
This is not an ad for PiYo or Beachbody and I don't sell the product as a Beachbody Coach...just me excited about a new workout possibility in the comfort of my own home.